If you are just starting to learn Java or are still thinking about which programming language to learn, this article is for you. Finding motivation is much easier when you know your end goal. In the vast world of IT, it is easy to become bewildered — there's a veritable ocean of specializations and positions. To stave off any confusion, we're going to talk about the four most popular areas of software development and show you which technologies you need to master. We hope this information will help you choose your career path.
Backend developerA backend developer deals with the parts of the application/website/software "under the hood.” And that encompasses a lot of different tasks. This type of development work is about creating an operational "server-application-database" combination by writing code that runs on the server, whether on-site or in the cloud. Backend developers are responsible for the logic, proper operation, and good performance of the application.
Technology stackJava, MySQL, Hibernate libraries, Spring and Spring MVC frameworks, Docker containerization software, and cloud services — AWS, Google Cloud, Azure, Heroku.
Backend developer tasks
- Design architecture.
- Structure website.
- Implement platform and core functions.
- Write algorithms.
SalaryAccording to Glassdoor, the average salary for a backend dev in the US is about $113,000 annually. Those at the bottom end of the salary distribution earn $67,000, while those at the upper end can pull in $190,000. But according to Salary.com, the average annual salary of a backend developer is even higher, between $104,127 and $124,366.
Frontend developer tasks
- Implement new functionality in the website, application or software; improve existing functionality.
- Refactor code to improve performance.
- Review code sent to the server.
- Implement the UI/UX layout created by the designer.
- Track application performance.
- Bug fixing.
SalaryAccording to Glassdoor, frontend developers in the US earn about $125,000 on average each year. The salary distribution ranges from $84,000 to $188,000. According to Salary.com, on average, frontend devs earn roughly $119,000.
Full-stack developerA full-stack developer is a Swiss knife in the software development world, a genuinely multifunctional programmer who can handle both frontend and backend tasks. Becoming such a universal soldier isn't easy: you need to have extensive knowledge and rich experience. Naturally, a specialist who works both on the visual part of the application and on the server can become a full-stack developer. In addition, a full-stack dev must have a good idea of how these parts interact and what the project ultimately needs to become.
- Java + Java Core; Apache; JPA/Hibernate; Spring (Spring MVC, Spring Boot, Spring REST, Spring Web), Google Cloud, AWS or Azure; JSP (Java Server Pages).
Fullstack developer tasks
- Plan, manage and implement the project.
- Negotiate with clients.
- Test the final web platform and fix bugs.
- Perform quality control on the website or application.
- Provide technical support for developers working on the web service.
- Work with databases, file systems, cloud storage, and network resources.
- Create the visual design.
SalaryThe average salary for a full-stack specialist in the US is about $120,000. Salaries for this role vary from $100,000 to $140,000.
Android developerIf you know Java, you can work as an Android developer. Most large companies have apps as an alternative to their website. Additionally, literally every month, dozens of new apps appear, and you can also get a job working on them. A mobile app developer has many tasks and responsibilities that require different levels of training, from working on an app's internal structure to implementing an API.
Technology stackJava, Android Studio, Android SDK, Git, Retrofit libraries, Moshi, Chuck, Timber.
Android developer tasks
- Develop mobile apps for Android OS.
- Interact with databases and APIs.
- Test and debug software at several stages.
- Upload the finished product to the Google Play Store.
- Support and update the app.
- Prepare product documentation and instructions.
SalaryThe average salary for an Android developer in the US is roughly $100,000. At the bottom end of the salary distribution, Android devs earn $62,000. Those at the upper end enjoy salaries around $162,000 per year.
How do programmers work as a team? How it works at CodeGymWe've discussed various developer specializations, but what does the work look like when it happens on a team? Let's tell you how the development team works at CodeGym. First, a little about CodeGym offerings. In simple terms, they consist of:
- Android app
- iOS app (not yet released)