Last week in the news: Updates of essential tools for Java developers; Adobe will acquire design software firm Figma.
- Apache ShenYu: Java Responsive API Gateway Announced as Apache Top-Level Project. It is written in Java, but supports multiple languages such as Python, Go and .NET.
- Java News Roundup by InfoQ: Helidon Níma, Spring Framework, MicroProfile, MicroStream, Kotlin, Piran.... JDK 19 remains in its release candidate phase with the anticipated GA release on September 20, 2022.
- Lightbend Changes Akka License and Is No Longer Open Source. This means the Akka codebase is only free to use for development and on non-production systems.
Career and IT market:
- Twitter founder Jack Dorsey to be deposed in Twitter v. Musk case. Jack Dorsey will be questioned as part of the court fight over their $44 billion acquisition deal.
- The world's second biggest cryptocurrency just got a lot greener. The long-awaited revamp, which is known as "The Merge," will reduce ethereum's energy consumption by nearly 99.95%.
- Google loses appeal against record $4 billion EU fine. This is the second court defeat for Google which lost its challenge to a 2.42 billion euro ($2.42 billion) fine last year.
- Adobe acquired the web-based collaborative design tool Figma for about $20 billion — one of the most significant internet M&A deals over the past twenty years.
- Grand Theft Auto VI footage leaked after hack, developer Rockstar confirms. More than 90 videos and images from the next edition of the Grant Theft Auto franchise have been leaked online by a hacker.
- Uber is investigating hack on its computer systems. The hacker later gained access to other internal systems, posting an explicit photo on an internal information page for employees.