You probably know by now that we at CodeGym, believe: anybody can learn to program to pursue whichever goals they have. Some of our students learn Java as a hobby. Some of them master coding to skyrocket their current career. But most of them learn coding to kickstart a new career as a developer. We recently asked our students to share their long-term and short-term goals for 2023 to take a closer look at their work scope this year. In this article, we’d like to share the useful observations from our survey. Let’s go!
Who Participated in CodeGym Survey?The majority of students that participated in this survey are beginners or intermediate-level learners. Approximately 40% of the respondents had little to no experience in programming or Java, while 30% of the learners had a career that was somehow related to programming, such as Business Analysts, DevOps Engineers, or QA Automation. The remaining 30% were career switchers with no prior experience in the field of IT. However, despite their diverse backgrounds, all of these students are self-directed learners who prefer to learn at their own pace and schedule.
What Is Their Motivation?Most CodeGym learners are highly motivated individuals who are willing to put in the effort to complete the course successfully. They are driven by a desire to learn new skills, gain coding practice, advance their careers, solve specific problems, acquire a new hobby, develop a game, or tie their professional life with AI, Robotics, or Mechatronics. About 40% of the surveyed students answered that they have zero technical background but want to become a Software Engineer in the future. Almost 34% of respondents already work in IT, but dream of switching careers within this field. For example, learn Java and become a developer. Some people on CodeGym are pursuing degrees in Computer Science and come to CodeGym to gain practical coding skills. This is 26.7% of the surveyed students, which suggests that our course can be both the main source for learning and an additional resource for those who are already studying somewhere. What is wondering is that about 13% of surveyed students study programming as a hobby in order to create their own projects. In fact, this is a good motivation to learn to code because if you are interested in it, it will be much easier for you to learn than others. And who knows how far this path can lead our students' enthusiasm for coding. Regardless of their motivations, CodeGym students are typically excited to start their coding journey and are eager to learn new skills that will help them achieve their goals.
What Are The Student’s Goals for 2023?Regarding short-term goals in learning to program in 2023, most responders say that their goal is to complete the CodeGym course. On average, the respondents are halfway through the first quest of our course, so it’ll be great to see how far they will progress during 2023.
So, it’s fair to say that CodeGym learners are likely to be motivated and self-directed. And as the course is designed to provide learners with a series of programming challenges that build their skills and knowledge, CodeGym students are ready to tackle challenges and find optimal solutions.
|Read more: Top Pet Projects to Boost Your Java Learning|
What Projects Do Students Dream of?The beauty of learning a new skill is that it opens up a world of possibilities and sparks our imagination. It’s no surprise, then, that the majority of CodeGym learners come to the course with a dream project in mind and are typically fueled by the desire to make their mark on the world of tech. Interestingly, only about 20% of students are unsure of what they want to do with their “future” coding skills. The rest have a clear goal in mind, and their ambitions are nothing short of impressive. Many dreams of creating a game that will captivate audiences worldwide, while others aspire to develop an app that will make people's lives easier.
The Learning Stack: Which Resources Our Students Use to Master ProgrammingCodeGym is your one-stop platform to learn to code, that’s for sure. But normally, your stack of learning resources should include a few platforms with different types of content to help you better understand programming concepts. As seen from the results of the survey, CodeGym's self-paced course is a major source of learning for almost 87% of students, while the other 13% prefer learning at CodeGym with mentorship. As for supplementary sources, the popular options are:
- free programming tutorials (websites, YouTube channels) – 66.7%
- books about programming (46.7%)
- and other online bootcamps (40%)