Java Trends in 2022: Java 8, Apache Tomcat, and Microservices

Published in the Random group
Every year, JRebel, a company that develops tools to improve the efficiency of Java programming, conducts a survey. Developers from the US, China, and Europe answer the questions about significant industry trends: popular JDK versions, application architecture, and build tools. In this text, we have collected the main results of the survey. Java Trends in 2022: Java 8, Apache Tomcat, and Microservices - 1

Which JDK version do developers choose?

Most developers say they use Java 8 (37% of those surveyed) as their programming language in their primary application. Java 11 occupies the second place (it’s popular among 29% of developers). Next, come Java 12 or newer (12% of developers) and Java 7 or older (5% of respondents). The programming languages ​​Kotlin, Groovy, and Scala were the least popular among developers, but collectively 17% of the developers surveyed use them. Java Trends in 2022: Java 8, Apache Tomcat, and Microservices - 2

Which JRE/JDK distributions do you prefer?

36% of respondents prefer Oracle Java. Generic OpenJDK and AdoptOpenJDK/Adoptium are also among the top three with 27% and 16%, respectively. 2.3% of developers choose distributions of OpenLogic OpenJDK. Java Trends in 2022: Java 8, Apache Tomcat, and Microservices - 3

Java Application Architecture Trends: Microservices and Monolithic Applications

The developers also have spoken about the architecture of the applications they have developed. Microservices-based applications are the most popular (32%), followed by monolithic applications (22%). Modular-monolithic applications account for 13% of responses, and service-oriented architectures — for 12%. Java Trends in 2022: Java 8, Apache Tomcat, and Microservices - 4Most companies have applications entirely based on microservices or are currently moving to a microservices architecture. Interestingly, larger companies (100+ employees) show higher adoption of microservices at 36%, which contrasts sharply with smaller companies (under 100 employees) at 28%. Among the frameworks that developers use to work with microservices, the Spring Boot framework is the leader with 74%. Java Trends in 2022: Java 8, Apache Tomcat, and Microservices - 5Frameworks Quarkus, Vert.x and DropWizard round out the top four with 5%, 2%, and 1%, respectively.

Java Developer Tools: Apache Tomcat and IntelliJ IDEA

According to the survey, Apache Tomcat is the most popular Java application server, with 48% of developers using it. Tomcat is followed by JBoss/Wildfly (15%), Jetty (13%), WebLogic (7%), WebSphere (5%) and GlassFish (4%) application servers. Java Trends in 2022: Java 8, Apache Tomcat, and Microservices - 6Among the build tools, the Maven framework is the leader (68%). The second place belongs to Gradle (23% of developers), and Ant is in the third place (6%). Currently, IntelliJ IDEA is the most popular IDE for developing Java applications, with 48% of respondents choosing it as their preferred development environment. Eclipse (24%), VSCode (18%), and Netbeans (6%) are following IntelliJ. Java Trends in 2022: Java 8, Apache Tomcat, and Microservices - 7
Comments
TO VIEW ALL COMMENTS OR TO MAKE A COMMENT,
GO TO FULL VERSION