Mobile development and more specifically Android development is one of the most popular and in-demand occupations for Java developers today with tens of thousands of open positions around the globe. Android Developer is also a pretty great area of specialization for Java beginners, as there are more jobs for Junior programmers and a great variety of opportunities in this niche. In fact, it isn’t uncommon for many Java beginners who are learning to become Android developers to join CodeGym. After all, Java is the main language in mobile development and Java coding is a foundational skill for Android developers. Good knowledge of Java and experience programming in this language is also one of the most common requirements in open positions for Android coders, so going through CodeGym’s course (especially the first 20 Levels covering all the fundamental Java knowledge) is highly advisable. In today’s article we are going to focus on what you need to be able to apply for an Android Developer position and how to prepare for a technical interview in order to get the job.
Requirements for Android DevelopersLet’s begin with the most common requirements for Android developers, based on our analysis of a number of real currently open jobs in this field.
- 2+ Years of Android development experience,
- Good knowledge of Java,
- Experience working with Android Studio,
- Knowledge of Android tools (Android SDK, AVD Manager, Android Debug Bridge, etc.),
- Experience working on REST APIs development and integration,
- Hands-on experience in Java Core, J2EE, Spring, MVC, Web Service, Hibernate, HTML, CSS,
- Experience integrating with 3rd party libraries (monitoring, analytics, notifications, etc.),
- Hands-on experience with Kotlin.
Top 30 Android technical interview questionsWhen it comes to the technical interview for Android Developer position, it is important to be prepared to answer at least the most common and popular questions interviewers typically ask candidates. Here’s a list of such questions.
Basic Android knowledge:
- What is the latest version of Android?
- What previous versions of Android.do you know?
- What are the features of Android?
- Which programming language is used for Android development?
- What is the APK format?
- What is an Android Framework?
- What is Google Android SDK?
- What tools are part of Android SDK?
- What does APK stand for?
- What is the importance of an emulator in Android?
Advanced Android knowledge:
- Explain Android Architecture.
- What is the life cycle of Android activity?
- What are the different types of intents in Android?
- What is the difference between an implicit intent and explicit intent?
- What is the difference between File, Class, and Activity in Android?
- What is a Toast?
- What is an ANR?
- What is AAPT?
- What are broadcast receivers in Android?
- What is the use of WebView in Android?
- What are the different kinds of context in Android?
- What are the different storage methods in Android?
- What database is used in Android?
- What is DDMS?
- What is the difference between Service and Thread?
- What are the containers?
- What are the core building blocks of Android?
- What is DVM?
- What does ADB stand for?
- What is the difference between a fragment and an activity?
Learning sources to prepare for Android tech interviewNow, as what you should be learning to prepare for an Android dev interview is more or less defined, let’s look at the selection of learning sources that you can use.
1. CodeGym.CodeGym has proved itself as one of the best tools that allows Android developers to learn fundamental knowledge of Java and other core mobile development technologies in an entertaining and gamified way. As our Success Stories show, and audience stats prove, hundreds and probably thousands of professional software developers learnt fundamental coding skills on CodeGym.
2. Online courses.There are also a handful of specialized courses available online that are focused on Android Developer interview preparation. Here are some of the most popular ones:
Android Interview Prep on Udacity
Android Online Course for Professionals from MindOrks
3. YouTube guides.There is no shortage of various YouTube video guides on this topic as well. Here are several that we can recommend:
- Android Developer Interview Preparation Guide - Cracking the Android Interview
- Android Interview Questions And Answers
- Android Interview Questions for Freshers
- Android Development Program
4. Coding tests and Q&As.Finally, here are some resources with coding tests often used on technical interviews for Android Developer positions, and some of the best Q&As:
- Android Online Test (20 Questions, 50 Minutes)
- Android online tests for tech screening
- 50 Android Interview Questions & Answers
- Android Developer Interview Coding Test